Friday, October 22, 2010

Just Call Me Rachael Ray: Recipe #3

This week was by far my favorite meal of the Rachael Ray 30 minute meal recipes!

Hot-or-Not Grilled Sliced Chicken with Cheesy Polenta and Guacamole Salad


I'm going to be honest with you, I almost didn't buy the polenta. I was in Martin's (Yes! I tried a new store for grocery shopping, and got a Martin's card for free =D), on the phone with my roommate, Elayna, and I was so close to just cooking my favorite side, rice pilaf. She described polenta as similar to grits, which did nothing to motivate me to buy it. Eventually, I just realized I would go with the flow, follow the recipe and be adventurous. SO HAPPY that I did because the polenta was my favorite part of the meal! You mix it in with corn, milk, green peppers (supposed to be poblano chiles on the recipe...yes, I altered some things), chicken stock, butter and cheese. It was so good! Highly recommend it!

Also, notice the name of the recipe. I chose the NOT choice of hot-or-not in the title. The sauce that goes with the chicken was so delicious. I have successfully enjoyed chicken (or meat) without ketchup for all three of these recipes! My horizons are broadening. :)

I'm finding a common reoccurrence of ingredients for these 30 minute meal recipes. I've been able to reuse tomatoes, cheese, my olive oil, salt and pepper, the chicken stock, green peppers, lemon juice in almost all three of the recipes so far, which is great! Less money to spend. Speaking of money, here's the breakdown for this recipe:

Ingredient list/MARTIN'S price:

2 poblano chiles (AKA green peppers): $2.57
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO): already had!
4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast: (I got 8) $10.58
Salt and pepper: already had!
4 tablespoons of butter: already had!
A handful cilantro or flat-leaf parsely, finely chopped: $3.39
2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped: already had!
2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder (hot) or sweet smoked paprika (not): paprika: $3.99
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano: $1.85
1 cup fresh of frozen corn kernels: $1.27
1 cup of milk: already had!
2 cups chicken stock: already had!
1 cup quick-cooking polenta: $3.35
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese: already had!
1 ripe avocado, sliced: $1.79
2 vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced into wedges: $1.87
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced: $1.08
Juice of 1 large lemon: $.89

Grand Total: $32.63


Find the full ingredient list and recipe at Rachael Ray's magazine website.



Bon appetit!















Now ya heard, spread the word.

1 comment:

  1. why can't i live with you! i want a cool cooked meal!! xoxo your blog stalker christie

    ReplyDelete